Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Daniel X Book 1 Review: Chapters 8-13

Heyhey! Welcome back...mom. Anyway, let's get right to chapter 8 in the book!

So, the chapter begins with Daniel leaving Portland to find Number 6, and...yeah, this chapter doesn't really have much to do with the main story. Basically he rides the bus for a while and then hitchhikes (which he does not recommend, but as we have clearly established in the previous chapters, he's basically a creator, and doesn't need protection. That and he needs to cover his tracks.). He mentions that he got a ride from a group of nuns...and then the chapter ends. Woopee.

So, chapter nine onward is a bit more exciting.

I didn't mind so much that the pickup truck I stuck out my thumb at didn't stop. It was the can of Busch beer that sailed out of his passenger window that I found quite unnecessary. It probably would have shattered the bone structure of my face if I didn't have pretty good reflexes. I ducked at the last second and watched as the full can exploded with a foamy hiss against the trunk of a pine tree.
I decided I needed to teach that idiot truck driver a lesson about highway safety and etiquette.
 
Like not picking up hitchhikers? Anyway, Daniel puts the beer back into the can using his mind, seals it, reaches the driver in 10 seconds, quips at him, and tosses the can back into the seat. And then he realizes that the driver has two noses and a few dozen fangs. Daniel responds by poking the brute in the eyes. The alien warns Daniel that if he continues chasing Number 6, he will die horribly. A second later, the alien turns back into the man, who confusedly begs for mercy. Daniel lets him go, and wonders about the power of Number 6, Ergent Seth.
So, what was it about urgently needing to cover your tracks?

SO, Daniel camps out in the forest for the night, and, get this, he has FRIENDS. No, I take that back, he MAKES friends!!! Argh! Why don't you just make a new race while you're at it?! So, his "friends" are Willy, Joe-Joe, Emma, and Dana (which is apparently a girls' name). Willy is Daniel's age (of course) is "fearless, loyal to a fault, and all heart." Joe-Joe is the eater, but skinny, and is "messy, and athlete at nothing but competitive eating, and the most sarcastic, funniest motormouth I know." Emma's...a tree-hugger. I'll just say it. She's a total tree-hugger. Dana's the obvious love interest (Daniel describes her as "probably the most beautiful girl I've every met", which is sort of creepy since he made her), and, of course, is nice as heck. Oh, and he has a crush on her. Well, don't worry Daniel, I'm sure that having a crush on someone you CREATED is not going to be a problem.

So yeah, as you can see, Daniel's created friends are basically made out of movie cliches, which may or may not be interesting. On one hand, it may seem that Daniel uses what he sees from movies and books to make his friends. On the other hand, maybe the author is just using cliches. I don't know. Anyway, the five teens play Trivial Pursuit for a while, and we get...three pages of interaction. And chapter 13 ends with Dana kissing Daniel on the cheek. ...Awkward.

Ok, no closing statements. It's 7:37 pm, and I haven't finished dinner. Minecraft is calling me. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment